- © Copyright – Modica Music Ltd / Modica Music Ltd (061297108121)
- Genre: Urban/R&B: Golden Age
- Release Date: 2008
Soul Stew, Toronto’s legendary Rhythm and Blues, Soul, Jazz Funk ensemble. A fixture of the Toronto music scene, Soul Stew is made up of some of the finest musicians in Canada.
Formed in 1990 by Toronto’s first-call studio musicians as a house band at the Bamboo, Soul Stew became the band synonymous with the College Street music scene with their 10 year-long residency at the College Street Bar.
The musicians in Soul Stew have collectively and individually performed and recorded with The Boss Brass, Gorillaz, Bruce Cockburn, Paul Butterfield, The Parachute Club, Jane Bunnett, Holly Cole, Marc Jordan, Gino Vanelli, Tito Puente, Mary Margaret O’Hara, Aretha Franklin, and Nelly Furtado, to name just a few. Soul Stew plays a mixture of Blues, Jazz, Rhythm and Blues, Funk, a bit of reggae, and a lot of Soul, recalling the classic sounds of the legendary recording bands (a la the Funk Brothers from the movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown) of Stax, Motown, The Philly Sound, The Meters, Muscle Shoals, and the Hi Rhythm section of Memphis.
- Michael Dunston ‐ Lead Vocals, Percussion
- David Gray ‐ Guitar, Background Vocals
- Matt Horner ‐ Piano, Electric Piano, Organ, Background Vocals
- John Johnson ‐ Tenor, Alto & Baritone Sax
- Mark Kelso ‐ Drums, Background Vocals
- Roberto Occhipinti ‐ Bass, Background Vocals